Grief is such a strange experience! I expected to feel so many things, but at the moment I'm feeling numb. I can't really believe that my Papa has gone...in my head he's still in the hospice, watching telly, playing games and eating toast....but in my heart I know he's not. I've struggled today with my emotions...and when I was at my lowest someone shared a beautiful passage with me. This is exactly how I see death...somewhere, out of my sight, someone is welcoming my Papa with open arms. This warms my heart...and helps me to live with the fact that I won't see him again for a long time.
The Ship
A ship sails and I stand watching until he fades on the horizon and someone at my side says "he is gone". Gone where? Gone from my sight, that is all. He is just as large now as when I last saw him. His diminished size and total loss from my sight is in me, not in him.
And just at the moment when someone at my side says "he is gone", there are others who are watching him coming over their horizon and other voices take up a glad shout "there he comes!"
That is what dying is. An horizon and just the limit of our sight.
No comments:
Post a Comment