Lots has happened since our last blog, but the problem I now have is that too much time has passed and I forget everything in between then and now! Typical!!
Let's see....we've had 4 more chicks, we've had chick worries (leg problems, breathing problems, general weirdness problems), and lots of other ups and downs along the way. In general the last few months have been pretty positive for our little family.
Staying with the theme of the last post, we'll stick to the topic of chickens for now. The girls (and now boys) are all doing well. They've been moulting recently, which has left the run looking like someone's had a pillow fight on a daily basis. Thankfully we're coming through the other side of it now, and the girls are feathering up nicely again. Poor Bertha seemed to get the short straw on the moult department...over night she lost her lovely copper feathers and sported a oven ready breasted look for a couple of months! :(
Henrietta's babies have grown...they are now 12 weeks old. Araucana's are notoriously hard to sex, but at the moment I 'think' we have 3 boys and a girl from the clutch! :( Not great, but the one girl we do have is a wee stunner!
aptly named Dorienne Grey...
Mavis managed to hatch 4 chicks of her own - all lavender araucanas, although one white one slipped through. She's been a good Mum, but I'm thankful the faverolle girls were on hand to foster the babies as and when Mavis ran out of patience! :)
I 'think' we have 4 boys in total, and although I appreciate hatching chicks comes with this downside, I really do not want to have to cull them. So, I've placed adverts everywhere. I have managed to rehome two (when they're ready to move out!) but still have two lovely boys looking for ladies to love. If you know of anyone who might be interested (not for pot) let me know.
I have to include a couple of my favourite pics taken over the last few months. I'll make a decisive effort to post more frequently in future.
G'night! :)





1 comment:
I couldn't hatch chicks for just that reason Bobbie - couldn't bear to get rid of the lads. Our ladies are just dropping a few feathers this year - POL in April, but next year we'll no doubt have the pillow fight effect!
Post a Comment